My company is called Koa – you may have noticed. If you are a gardener, you may know why.
Can I take a moment to talk to you about the Koa tree?
- The Koa is a very tall kind of Acacia tree. It is thought so precious in the Hawaiian Islands that the wood is not used for furniture and building purposes but for musical instruments, the finest canoes and spiritual carvings.
- The height and breadth of the Koa tree allows for different communities of plants and animals to shelter and flourish within its branches too.
And this is what I wanted to say about what I offer through my company by calling it Koa.
- It’s a statement about my work.
- It’s an aspiration for me.
- And it is about me (though I’m not very tall these days!)
I get to read a lot of school websites and mission statements. I am sure you had many discussions and drafts before you arrived at the one representing your school today.
Of course, there will be a match between your statement and your goals as the Lead person but I am wondering if your mission says anything that reflect you as an individual.
Let me ask you a question…
If people think of you and your work, what are the words that spring to mind?
Not words in the mission statement I think!
I invite you to think of 3-5 words that people would say.
Don’t be shy!
Take a moment to reflect on these words. …………..
This is the impact you are having.
This is brilliant!
Please get out there and do more of it!